We are trying to achieve a workforce for the future. One which reflects the increasingly diverse population of Derbyshire. Where individuals feel valued and supported. And where people are encouraged to continue to develop their skills and abilities – to do a good job for the people we serve.
How we are ensuring equality in recruitment
We have developed a number of different ways for people to apply for our jobs, including:
- Jobs online – so you can make a job application via our website
- by downloading the job pack and application form, completing it and returning it to us
- by phoning and asking for the job pack and application form so you can complete this by hand and return it to us
- by having a shorter application form for some of our jobs
- by training our managers who carry out recruitment to carry this out fairly
- by training managers on equality and diversity
- providing disabled job applicants with adjustments throughout the recruitment process to help make the process fairer, such as making reasonable adjustments at interview
- by providing all disabled people who meet the essential criteria with a guaranteed interview and by ensuring that any test or assessment is fair to everyone and focuses on the skills and knowledge needed for the job
- by monitoring who applies, who gets shortlisted and who is appointed to check that the way our policy is carried out is fair to everyone
Equality and diversity at work
We think we are an excellent employer to work for. There are a range benefits and support for employees which shows how we invest in our people:
- we have procedures in place to protect employees from any kind of harassment or bullying – these are taken very seriously
- a range of services to support our employees when they need adjustments where they work, or if they become unwell – to help them to return to work feeling supported and valued
- a fair pay structure
- many different types of flexible working arrangements
- support for parents and carers
- lots of opportunities for our employees to make their views known
- regular reviews of employee progress and the provision of training to help our people grow and develop
- you can join a trade union or one of our 4 staff networks – BME, disabled, female and LGBT staff – these networks and the trade unions regularly work with our management team to improve things in the council and to promote equality and diversity
What else are we doing on equality and diversity
We have a new Equality and Diversity Policy and are setting equality objective to show the focus of our work for the next 4 years. We also publish information to show how we are performing and will update this to show progress each year.
We are reviewing our training on equalities to make sure it supports everyone to integrate equality issues into their everyday job and duties – focusing on fair and high quality services for everyone – and meeting the different needs our customers have.
And we are working hard to develop our workforce – including by increasing the proportion of people from diverse backgrounds – so that our workforce is ready to face the future challenges and will better reflect the range of different people who live in Derbyshire. We are particularly keen to increase the number of younger people in our workforce and are developing an extensive apprenticeship programme to support this.
For more information on equality and diversity and employment please contact: