Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

View the most up-to-date information about the coronavirus. Find out about new measures at recycling centres and check waiting times

Due to essential maintenance, this website will be unavailable from 5pm to 8pm on Monday 25 May 2020. Apologies for any problems this may cause.

close alert bar

Apply for temporary traffic signals

In order to carry out construction work and occupy the highway it may be necessary to introduce temporary traffic signals to ensure public safety and minimise congestion. 

Apply for temporary traffic signals

Terms and conditions

The following terms and conditions must be complied with by the applicant and/or any contractor responsible for any part of the works to which the temporary traffic signals relate. These are in addition to wider responsibilities identified within the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 and the Traffic Management Act 2004.

Site approval for all Portable Traffic Signals is required under the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002, Regulations 35 and General Direction 53.

Applicants must provide a plan accurately showing the position and configuration of the proposed traffic signals and associated traffic management (signs, cones, barriers), upon request.

If the application is refused, or alterations to the application are deemed necessary, the highway authority will detail the reasons for this.

Following submission of an application, any correspondence between the applicant and the highway authority must make reference to the enquiry number provided to the applicant upon receipt of the application.

Should an applicant place and operate portable traffic signals on the highway without the written approval of the authority (as per Regulation 53) then an offence is committed under the Highways Act 1980 and the authority may take legal action against offenders.

It is imperative for co-ordination and administrative reasons that adequate advance notice of at least one week is given in all cases.

Applicants should, prior to submitting this form, make themselves familiar with the proposed location of the portable traffic signals and the local features that may have an impact on their proposals. This will include, road junctions, controlled and uncontrolled pedestrian crossings, schools, commercial and industrial accesses. Account must be taken of these features in the design and timings of the proposed portable light signals.

Portable traffic signals must be operated in accordance with the DfT’s booklet ‘An Introduction to the use of Vehicle Actuated Portable Traffic Signals’ – ISBN 0-11-550781-7

Where, as part of the proposed use of the portable traffic signals, there is a requirement to switch off any permanent traffic signals or pelican crossings, only authorised authority representatives may switch these off/on. The applicant may be charged for this service. For Derbyshire please tel: 01629 538629.

Please note that the authority will switch the permanent traffic signals off and on and cover the signal heads and push buttons (where pedestrian facilities are involved). However, it will be the responsibility of the applicant to provide all the additional associated signing and barriers that are required at the applicants cost. These must be on site at the time of the switch off and resources made available by the applicant to place them on the highway in conjunction with the switch off. Conversely at the time of the switch on of the permanent traffic signals by authorised authority representatives, resources must be made available by the applicant to remove the additional associated signing and barriers on the highway in conjunction with the switch on.

Permanent traffic signal heads must not be covered by the applicant in order to avoid having the signals officially switched off. Any such action is an offence under the Highways Act 1980 and the authority may take legal action against offenders.

The authority must be notified by the applicant of any changes to those listed on the application.

Where the works are in the vicinity of a level crossing or railway bridge, the rail authority must also be consulted prior to any work commencing. Where the works are in the vicinity of a tram or light rapid transport system, the operator of these must be contacted prior to any work commencing.

The applicant may request the authority to design the layout and timing of portable traffic signals. The authority, however, reserves the right to decline to do this. If the authority does enter into an agreement to undertake this work then it may charge the applicant for this work.