Following the assessment, if your facility becomes a recognised tourist attraction, you can apply to us for tourism signage.
Apply to join the Visit England 'Visitor Attraction' quality scheme
Applications without a Visit England 'Visitor Attractions' assessment report will not be considered.
We'll not consider applications from restaurants, public houses, schools, cafés, shops, hotels and function venues. This list is not exhaustive, but gives an indication of the types of establishments that are not considered tourist attractions.
The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 defines a 'tourist destination' as:
- A tourist information centre or point.
- A permanently established attraction or facility (other than a leisure facility) which:
- attracts or is used by visitors to an area
- is open to the public without prior booking during its normal opening hours
- is recognised as a tourist attraction or facility by the appropriate national promoter of tourism (for Derbyshire this is Visit England)
Your attraction must have a minimum opening period of 150 days, be available for use by the public during opening hours without the need for pre-booking or membership. It should be capable of attracting day visitors and tourists, as well as local residents, demonstrate that it is publicised throughout the tourist industry and comply with all statutory requirements.
Our 'Highway signs: Environmental code of practice' will be considered when signs are designed and erected to minimise visual intrusion to the environment. Through our highways asset review and reduction programme we're reducing sign clutter across the county.
How to apply
To apply for tourism signage, please email all of the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Visit England assessment report
- name of tourist attraction
- address of tourist attraction
- website address of tourist attraction
- contact email address
- contact telephone number
Once we receive your initial enquiry, and if tourist signage is appropriate, we'll process your application.