Events are taking place across Derbyshire including on:
- Tuesday 18 June 2019 at Breastmates Big Feed and Picnic at Hall Leys Park (near the bandstand), Matlock from midday to 2pm
- Thursday 20 June 2019 at Cradles Breastfeeding Group have a picnic at Victoria Park in Ilkeston from 12:30pm to 2:30pm
Our Cabinet Member for Health and Communities Councillor Carol Hart said:
“Breastfeeding offers a lot of benefits for mums and babies and we are keen to help support families if they decide to breastfeed.
“However we know that some mums stop breastfeeding before they want to and this can be for a variety of reasons, many of which are preventable.”
We have a range of support materials available including the Derbyshire Breastfeeding Charter.
The charter gives information about the range of services on offer to support mums if they chose to breastfeed their baby.
The Derbyshire Breastfeeding Charter aims to:
- raise awareness of the benefits of breastfeeding
- normalise breastfeeding in public so mothers are confident when feeding out and about
- make families aware of the breastfeeding support and advice that is available to them in Derbyshire
- encourage venues across Derbyshire to sign up to the Breastfeeding Welcome Here Award
Wee also run the Breastfeeding Welcome Here Awards.
The award encourages local businesses and organisations in the county to make women feel welcome while they are breastfeeding, by offering welcoming, safe spaces for mums and babies.
Get more information or sign up to the Breast Feeding Welcome Here scheme.
You can also learn about breastfeeding support and find breastfeeding friendly venues in Derbyshire.
The breastfeeding charter is attached to this page.