We're hosting seven ‘Talk Fostering’ events as part of the annual national campaign which this year has the theme #changeafuture and runs from Monday 13 to Sunday 26 May.
Our Cabinet Member for Young People, Councillor Alex Dale said:
“We’re looking for foster carers all year round and Foster Care Fortnight helps to support our work by shining a national spotlight on how fostering can transform a child’s life and indeed change futures. >
“We have a fantastic community of Derbyshire foster carers but we continually need more to look after children who, for whatever reason, are unable to live with their birth families.
“You don’t need any special qualifications. You just need to be aged over 21, have a spare room and go through some checks when you contact us to make sure fostering’s right for you before you’re assessed.
“It can be done over short or longer periods of time and we provide a range of benefits and allowances, full training and dedicated support.
“We’ve organised seven ‘Talk Fostering events to take place across the county during Foster Care Fortnight where you can speak to foster carers about their experience and to our staff about the process – or you can just give us a call anytime.
“If you’re interested in fostering we’d love to hear from you and you never know, it could be the first step on your journey to changing a future – not only a child’s but yours too.”
‘Talk Fostering’ events taking place in Derbyshire during Foster Care Fortnight:
- Wednesday 15 May: 10am to midday Costa Coffee, Barlborough, S43 4WP
- Wednesday 15 May: 5pm to 7pm, County Hall, Matlock, DE4 3AG
- Thursday 16 May: 1pm to 3pm, Costa Coffee, Chesterfield Town Centre, S40 RB
- Friday 17 May: 9am to 11am, Costa Coffee inside Tesco, Chesterfield, S41 7JB
- Wednesday 22 May: 1pm to 3pm, Costa Coffee, Barlborough, S43 4WP
- Friday 24 May: 11am to 12.30pm, St Thomas’ Church, Chesterfield, S40 3AW
- Friday 24 May: 9am to 11am, Costa near Tesco/KFC in Chesterfield, S41 7JB
We also have more events running next month and throughout the year including in Long Eaton, Glossop, Dronfield and Matlock.
Find events and more information about fostering for Derbyshire or Call Derbyshire on 0800 083 77 44.